Descendants of George Hughes
Generation No. 1
1. GEORGE1 HUGHES was born Abt. 1760 in VA or SC, and died Bef. 1823 in South Carolina. He married RHODA GARRETT 1790 in Laurens, South Carolina, daughter of EDWARD GARRETT and ANN OUSLEY.
Notes for GEORGE HUGHES:
According to the book, "1000 Years From Normandy", by Edward Garrett, George Hughes descended from William Hughes of New Kent, VA who was the master carpenter of St. Peter's Parish. This church is located between Williamsburg and Richmond on the road which was used by travelers during the Colonial period. The church is still there and services are held each week. It is said to be the place where Martha and George Washington were married and it was left standing during the Civil War in honor of that historic event.
George Hughes is listed as having fought in the Revolutionary War.
He bought land along Warrior Creek in Laurens, SC from John Garrett July 14th, 1798 and on August 17th he purchased 195 acres from James Garrett. This land was on the southeast side of Warrior Creek.
There is strong evidence that George was first in Newberry county, SC. He is closely associated with and apparently related to a John Hughes and an Aaron Hughes who were somewhat older or about the same age as he.
Children of GEORGE HUGHES and RHODA GARRETT are:
2. i. WILLIAM H.2 HUGHES, b. June 20, 1792, Laurens, SC; d. Aft. 1850, Marshall county, AL.
ii. JOHN HUGHES, b. February 06, 1791.
iii. THOMAS HUGHES, b. August 08, 1793.
iv. EDWARD HUGHES, b. January 07, 1795.
v. ANNA HUGHES, b. January 01, 1797.
vi. AARON HUGHES, b. February 04, 1799.
vii. MOSES HUGHES, b. January 06, 1801.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM H.2 HUGHES (GEORGE1) was born June 20, 1792 in Laurens, SC, and died Aft. 1850 in Marshall county, AL. He met JANE Unknown in unknown.
Children of WILLIAM HUGHES and JANE are:
3. i. GEORGE C.3 HUGHES, b. 1828, Georgia; d. Unknown, Morgan cty. AL.
ii. NANCY HUGHES, b. 1814; d. 1893, Morgan County, AL.
Notes for NANCY HUGHES:
Nancy lived with her nephew, James Martin Hughes, son of George C. Hughes prior to her death in 1893. She is buried in an unmarked grave at Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Cedar Cove, AL, near Falkville.
4. iii. RHODA HUGHES, b. 1818, South Carolina; d. March 19, 1894, Morgan County, AL.
iv. MARGARET HUGHES, b. 1821.
v. CATHERINE HUGHES, b. 1824.
vi. REBECCA HUGHES, b. 1826, Georgia.
Generation No. 3
3. GEORGE C.3 HUGHES (WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born 1828 in Georgia, and died Unknown in Morgan cty. AL. He married ANNA ELIZABETH FRANCIS January 02, 1862 in Morgan County Alabama, daughter of ROBERT FRANCIS and DRADY TURRENTINE.
Notes for GEORGE C. HUGHES:
George C. Hughes is buried at Mt. Zion Baptist Church cemetary in Morgan County, near Falkville, AL. He fought with the AL Partisan Rangers AL 1st Calvary during the Civil War.
Children of GEORGE HUGHES and ANNA FRANCIS are:
5. i. WILLIAM JOSHUA4 HUGHES, b. August 12, 1863, Morgan cty. AL; d. October 18, 1931, Morgan cty. AL.
ii. RACHEL JANE REBECCA HUGHES, b. April 20, 1865.
iii. SAMUEL LEE HUGHES, b. March 12, 1867.
6. iv. JAMES MARTIN HUGHES, b. January 07, 1869, Morgan cty. AL; d. July 01, 1954, Morgan cty. AL.
v. GEORGE LAFAYETTE HUGHES, b. January 01, 1871.
vi. ARABELLA ELLEN LEANNA HUGHES, b. November 22, 1873; m. MURPHY.
4.RHODA3 HUGHES (WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born 1818 in South Carolina, and died March 19, 1894 in Morgan County, AL. She married JESSE WILLIAM CULVER December 19, 1838 in Morgan County Alabama.
Children of RHODA HUGHES and JESSE CULVER are:
i. JAMES MARTIN4 CULVER, b. 1839.
ii. LUCRITIA JANE CULVER, b. September 11, 1840.
iii. ELIZABETH REBECCA CULVER, b. 1845.
iv. WILLIAM ANDREW CULVER, b. September 14, 1847.
v. GEORGE JASPER CULVER, b. January 1850.
vi. THOMAS N. CULVER, b. 1852.
vii. MARGARET F. CULVER, b. 1857.
Generation No. 4
5. WILLIAM JOSHUA4 HUGHES (GEORGE C.3, WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born August 12, 1863 in Morgan cty. AL, and died October 18, 1931 in Morgan cty. AL. He married FRANCES HALE in Morgan County Alabama.
Child of WILLIAM HUGHES and FRANCES HALE is:
7. i. VIRGINIA5 HUGHES, b. Morgan Co. AL.
6.JAMES MARTIN4 HUGHES (GEORGE C.3, WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born January 07, 1869 in Morgan cty. AL, and died July 01, 1954 in Morgan cty. AL. He married DEMARIS JANE (MAE) SHIRLEY December 25, 1902 in Morgan County Alabama, daughter of GEORGE SHIRLEY and NANCY MARROW.
Notes for JAMES MARTIN HUGHES:
The family Bible of George C. Hughes and Anna Elizabeth Francis contains the names of their children along with their birthdates. My grandfather is listed as John James Martin Francis Hughes. He was a lay preacher and my mother says that the first time she saw him he was preaching under the big oak tree in the cemetery of Mt. Tabor Methodist church. The tree has since been cut down, but he is now buried near that same spot. My mother also says that she never saw him without a mustache.
Notes for DEMARIS JANE (MAE) SHIRLEY:
Demaris used the name 'Mae' most of her life. She was living in the household of Joshua Hughes on the 1890 census of Morgan county. My father says that it was here she met my grandfather, her future husband, James Martin Hughes. She was a Christian woman who raised her family near Brooksville, AL. She is buried at Mt. Tabor Methodist Church cemetery.
Children of JAMES HUGHES and DEMARIS SHIRLEY are:
i. RUBY5 HUGHES, b. November 17, 1903, Morgan County, AL; d. June 06, 1994, Morgan County, AL; m. CLAUDE MAPLES.
Notes for RUBY HUGHES:
Ruby lived most of her married life in Minco, Oklahoma.
Notes for CLAUDE MAPLES:
Claude Maples was a farmer and had a great sense of humor.
8. ii. IVY HUGHES, b. July 07, 1905, Morgan County, AL; d. 1998, Morgan County, AL.
9. iii. SAMUEL TENNIS HUGHES, b. August 29, 1907, Morgan County, AL; d. November 27, 1981, Cullman County, AL.
10. iv. RICHARD MARVIN HUGHES, b. May 14, 1911, Morgan Co. AL; d. January 17, 2001, Morgan Co. AL.
11. v. GEORGE HENRY HUGHES, b. October 28, 1913, Morgan County, AL; d. August 17, 1992, Morgan County, AL.
12. vi. EDWARD MYRL HUGHES, b. January 14, 1920.
Generation No. 5
7. VIRGINIA5 HUGHES (WILLIAM JOSHUA4, GEORGE C.3, WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born in Morgan Co. AL. She married SHERMAN POWELL.
Child of VIRGINIA HUGHES and SHERMAN POWELL is:
i. SHERMAN POWELL6 JR..
8.IVY5 HUGHES (JAMES MARTIN4, GEORGE C.3, WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born July 07, 1905 in Morgan County, AL, and died 1998 in Morgan County, AL. She married ERNEST MAPLES in Morgan County Alabama.
Notes for IVY HUGHES:
Ivy was an excellent seamstress. She also played piano at the New Center Baptist Church where she was a member for many years.
Notes for ERNEST MAPLES:
Ernest Maples owned a farm and a peach orchard near Brooksville, AL. He had a sense of humor and was fun to be around.
Children of IVY HUGHES and ERNEST MAPLES are:
i. ERNESTINE6 MAPLES, b. Unknown.
ii. DON MAPLES, b. Unknown.
9.SAMUEL TENNIS5 HUGHES (JAMES MARTIN4, GEORGE C.3, WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born August 29, 1907 in Morgan County, AL, and died November 27, 1981 in Cullman County, AL. He married BERNICE MOSES Unknown in Morgan County Alabama.
Notes for SAMUEL TENNIS HUGHES:
Samuel was the oldest son and he was called Sam by his family. He was a kind and thoughtful person. He lived much of his life in Cullman County, AL.
Children of SAMUEL HUGHES and BERNICE MOSES are:
i. VANN6 HUGHES, b. Unknown.
ii. ELLIOTT HUGHES, b. Unknown.
iii. RUTH HUGHES, b. Unknown.
iv. CAROLYN HUGHES, b. Unknown.
v. MARY FRANCES HUGHES, b. Unknown.
10.RICHARD MARVIN5 HUGHES (JAMES MARTIN4, GEORGE C.3, WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born May 14, 1911 in Morgan Co. AL, and died January 17, 2001 in Morgan Co. AL. He married IDA ODESSA RUSSELL November 16, 1938 in Morgan County Alabama, daughter of BENJAMIN RUSSELL and TEMPERANCE HOLT.
Notes for RICHARD MARVIN HUGHES:
Richard Marvin Hughes was 10 years of age when he almost died from a ruptured appendix. He rode in a wagon to the train station and was taken by train to Birmingham for surgery following the attack. He remained there for close to three months. He said that the prayers of his father saved his life.
He lived most of his married life near Flint, AL. He enjoyed doing carpenter work.
Dad is buried at Mt. Tabor Cemetery in Morgan County, AL.
Children of RICHARD HUGHES and IDA RUSSELL are:
i. NORMA JEAN6 HUGHES, b. August 24, 1939, Morgan County, AL; d. August 28, 1939, Morgan County, AL.
13. ii. DEMARIS ANN HUGHES, b. December 27, 1940, Morgan County, AL.
14. iii. JANET LOU HUGHES, b. May 29, 1943, Morgan County, AL.
11.GEORGE HENRY5 HUGHES (JAMES MARTIN4, GEORGE C.3, WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born October 28, 1913 in Morgan County, AL, and died August 17, 1992 in Morgan County, AL. He married MARY WIDNER.
Notes for GEORGE HENRY HUGHES:
George Hughes worked for Meadow Gold Dairies in Decatur, AL.
Child of GEORGE HUGHES and MARY WIDNER is:
15. i. SUE6 HUGHES, b. 1941, Morgan Co. AL.
12.EDWARD MYRL5 HUGHES (JAMES MARTIN4, GEORGE C.3, WILLIAM H.2, GEORGE1) was born January 14, 1920. He married EDITH CROWE in Morgan County Alabama.
Notes for EDWARD MYRL HUGHES:
Myrl was musically talented and wrote and sang Christian music.
Children of EDWARD HUGHES and EDITH CROWE are:
i. PATRICIA MYRL6 HUGHES, b. 1951.
ii. JAMIE HUGHES, b. 1956.